Its my baby, I don't want to break it

The old school philosophy of testing is "Break the software". I used to think this way and be driven this way. Then I realized something, when my focus is on breaking something, my approach is attack mode.....




If I want to break a glass vase, I throw it down and it breaks.

If I want to break my software, I find vulnerable spots and take a jab at it.
Then what?
I report, "hey, its broken" and probably feel proud that "Hey, I broke it!!"
Then what?
I don't know. 
I am not sure if this approach every worked for me.


I usually fall in love with most products I work on. They are my babies. I want the best for them. I want them to evolve and improve. I want them to co-exist with their sibling applications. I want them to have a unique name in the software industries. I want to give them the best opportunities I can provide with my team.




It takes a village
It take a village to raise a kid.
It takes a team to create a product.


Know the history
Know where the kids come from. Their background, family history, family health history and such.
Know where the idea for the application come from. The requirements and the needs that lead to creating the application.


Understand what they want
We want to give the best of the best to our kids. But that wont make them happy. Understanding what they want and trying to give them as much of what they want will make us happy.
We want to create the best possible application. But the application may not need the extra bells and whistles. It just needs that extra umph. Try to give what it needs with what we got.

Protect them from threats
Kids should be educated about pedaphiles and manipulators so that they can protect themselves when we are not around. Because, the bastards always make sure the kids are alone to take advantage of them. Provide them with whistle or phone or a process to attract attention when in trouble.
Software should be prepared to deal with hackers and hijackers so that they it can protect itself anywhere in the world. Provide them with Captchas or trace of analytics to understand what happened when.



Extra care when sick


We have to give extra attention to the kids when they are sick. Not hate them for being sick.
We have to give extra attention to the application when they are vulnerable. Not walk away and abandon them.








Rules have to be followed
Kids may not want to follow rules sometimes. But they should not be given an opportunity certain times. They have to follow the rules as part of the society
Application functionality may become dull or not enough adventurous some times. That is okay. It is for the application's own good. It is to follow some rules a it is part of the society.








They will leave the nest
Don't try to hold on to the application out of fear of being jobless. When it is time, it is time for the application to go through new process and into new departments and have a life of their own.


Enjoy them

Enjoy being with the kids. Explore the world with them. Talk about anything with them and see what they think. If they need to understand certain things more than the other, explain it to them.
Enjoy working on the application. Explore the software world with it. Input anything and observe what comes out. If the software needs to be tested in other ways using other tools, definitely do it.



Watch them grow and evolve
Watch your kids grow and evolve into something wonderful
Watch the application grow and evolved into what it is meant to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Testers Life

Lots of Work

Vanilla Ice Cream caused General motors to not start